Dysport ® & Botox ®
WHAT IS Dysport® / BOTOX® ?
Dysport and BOTOX are brand names for a highly-purified form of a naturally-occurring protein known as Clostridium Botulinum. The long technical name is Botulinum toxin Type-A...we call it BoNiT-A for short!
BoNiT-A relaxes facial muscles, which can:
- - Reduce the strength of chewing muscles to reduce damaging forces on your teeth
- - Reduce the strength of clenching muscles to help decrease tension-type headaches
- - Decrease forehead wrinkles
- - Decrease frown lines
- - Smooth out wrinkles/crows feet
These all can lead to a youthful, smoother, wrinkle-free appearance to compliment your smile.
Does Dysport®/ BOTOX® hurt?
For most people, treatment involves very mild to no discomfort. We offer pre-injection cold packs to numb the area, and some of our patients don’t even ask for the cold packs at all! (Pssst….here’s a secret... the extremely tiny needles used to administer BoNiT-A are narrower, and less than half the length of our shortest dental needles! This results in what’s described as a small pin-prick sensation at worst.)
How long does it take to get Dysport®/ BOTOX®?
After your personalized consultation and photos are complete, and the treatment area has been chosen, the actual administration of Dysport®/ BOTOX® only takes ~10-20minutes. The great thing is that there is no “recovery” downtime. For comprehensive treatment plans, or those with significant bruxism(grinding habits) or those with heavy lines, more than one session may be necessary.
How long does it take for results to appear? How long do they last?
Typically, Dysport’s effects take place within 4-6 days, however it can take up to 14 days for full results. That’s why we ask you to return for a 2 week follow-up for any required treatment refinements.
Results typically last between 3-4 months.
Is there anything I should avoid doing immediately after receiving Dysport®/ BOTOX® treatment?
Yes, there’s a few. The following all apply for 4 hours after your treatment:
- - Avoid rubbing or massaging the treated areas
- - Avoid doing strenuous exercise
- - Avoid facials or saunas - this will minimize the risk of raising your blood pressure and therefore minimize the risk of temporary bruising. Feel free to shower and go about most other regular daily activities.
- - Avoid lying down - This is to avoid the risk of pressure on the treated areas (from your pillow) and to avoid the risk of having the area rubbed accidentally.
- - Avoid using heavy pressure if needing to apply make-up to treated areas
Am I a good candidate for Dysport®/ BOTOX® treatment?
Most adults are candidates for treatment, unless you have hypersensitivity to any botulinum toxin product, an allergy to cow’s milk protein, infection at the proposed injection site, or are currently pregnant or breastfeeding.
Please note that according to the regulatory guidelines set out by the College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia, “dentists can only be prescribe or administer Schedule 1 drugs [Dysport/Botox] under the following circumstances:
- - the patient is a "patient of record" at the dental practice;
- - the drug is part of a comprehensive dental treatment plan;
- t- he patient has received a comprehensive dental examination;
- - the patient completed a full medical history and has been assessed;
- - informed consent has been obtained;
- - treatment takes place in an appropriate clinical setting.
Therefore, we can only administer Dysport®/ BOTOX® to patients that have already had a full dental exam at River District Dentistry. If you are interested in Dysport®/ BOTOX® but are not yet a patient, click the blue “Book Appointment” button at the top of the screen and schedule your Adult: New Patient Exam to get started today!
How much does Dysport®/ BOTOX® treatment cost?
Treatment fees vary widely, and depend on a variety of factors, including:
- - the strength of your chewing muscles
- - the strength of your upper facial expression muscles
- - the number of areas that you’d like to have treated
- - sex: males generally require more product vs. females
Your treatment plan and fee will be discussed at your consultation for your approval before proceeding. We offer flexible payment options - click here to find out more!